Layover in Tokyo, Japan (25 Jun 2018)

In my recent business trip to San Jose, I transited at Tokyo, Japan for my connecting flight to Los Angeles. That also gave me my first opportunity, or excuse rather, to visit Japan, finally! I have heard so much about this city, but being there, felt surreal!

So my flight to Tokyo (HND) was due to arrive at 5.50am but it landed 1/2 hour earlier instead! So that gave me an extra 1/2 hour in Japan! Hooray!!! 😆 And the first experience of punctuality!

The flight I took from Singapore to HND was Japan Airlines and I have to say I'm impressed! It is one of the healthier choice you can get for airplane food!

In flight meal - look at the green tea!!! And the rice was super tasty too!
Just before landing, the air stewardess gave us the arrival cards to fill in. There are 2 forms to be filled in. 

Front
Back
Upon arrival, follow the arrival sign to clear customs. 


The queue to clear immigration was super long so it took me a good 45 mins before I manage to collect my luggage. And this is also a good point to take note, if you're transiting like me, it would be useful to check with the airlines before hand (either through hotline or when you check in), if your connecting flights are at the same airport or if you need to change airports, like me! 

If you need to connect to Narita airport, you would need to collect your baggage. 
So when I first planned out my "day" in Tokyo, I was actually under the impression that I wouldn't be carrying my luggage with me, and also hearing rumours that the train stations are made up of majority stairs instead of lifts and escalator, I hesitated if I should still go with what I planned and I pulled through, and I was glad it was possible! 

Here's how! 
(P.S. Highly advisable to do your "homework" before you head over to Japan. The train lines are super complex and it can be intimidating if you aren't sure where you are headed to.) 

Follow the sign that points to "Monorail"
It should be on your left when you come out of Arrivals
Take the right (Platform 2)
The outside of the monorail
The inside of the monorail
The station I was going to alight at, was the final station of this line, Hamamatsucho station. 

The first thing that caught my eye at the station

I was a little disorientated at the station so I actually exit from the World Trade Center instead of what I planned to exit, and I was thankful for the detour (even with my luggage) because I got to eat this yummy bun!!! 

The bakery that attracted me!
I bought this thinking it was "donut" but wait for the surprise!!!
It actually contained AZUBI BEANS (or red beans but the not-so-sweet version)!!!



With a bun on hand, and additional fuel for my body, I was ready to conquer this city which I was all too unfamiliar with!

My 1st to-do list was to see the Tokyo Tower and if possible snap good photos and so as many blogs and research advised, I headed to the Shiba Park! The Shiba Park is about 10-15 mins walk from the Hamamatsucho station. 

When I came out of the World Trade Centre, I saw this sign and turn left.

My first shot of the Tokyo Tower!
I kept walking till I reach the Zojoji Temple and then turn left. And a foot step away was the Shiba Park!!! 
Orientate yourself around the Park and you should be able to get a pretty good shot of the Tokyo Tower!!!

Shiba Park

After I was done with like my million photo shoot of the Tokyo Tower, I headed to the Akabanebashi Station (about 450m walk from the Park). 


When you finally reach the station, follow the sign "Oedo Line". 


Orientate yourself to Platform 1

Alight 3 stations later at Tsukijishijo Station. When you tap out of the gantry, look for Exit A1. 

Exit A1 will lead you to the Tsukiji Fish Market

I didn't want to bring my luggage to the fish market so I deposited at the luggage lockers. Pretty simple to navigate.

Suggestion to take a photo of your receipt in case you lose it
When I exit from the station, I turn left and walked into the "Fish Market". There isn't like a sign that says "Fish Market" but you would see trucks and carts going about to prepare the fresh sales so you can take a guide from there. 


This was the first Sushi shop I chanced upon and it happened to be the one my friend recommended!

The highlight of the Sushi here is that it is served at the counter, made immediately upon order by the Master! 
Look at the guests enjoying the scene of watching their food being prepared

I didn't wait for all to be served before I snapped the photo because it was too delicious!


























After the delicious and satisfying fill, I headed to walk around the rest of the "Market". 

I believe this is the more famous Sushi shop, but the queue looks too crazy and I didn't want to waste time


Have you seen Wasabi in its raw form?
Don't miss this store if you walk pass it!
Best Tamago I ever tasted! I am still salivating the sweetness of it!
When I had my fair share of my visit to the market, my next destination was Tokyo Station. 

I walked back to Tsukijishijo Station, because that's also where my luggage was. Collected my luggage and headed to the platform. Take 2 stations and alight at Daimon Station

When you arrive at Daimon Station, navigate yourself (by following the signs) to the Hamamatsucho Station of Yamanote Line (JR Line) at Platform 2. That'll bring you to Tokyo Station. 


Go up the stairs to Platform 2
The train

After depositing my luggage at the luggage locker, again, then I headed out of Tokyo Station. 

This is the legendary Tokyo Station
When you come out of the Station from the Marunouchi exits, you should find yourself welcomed by the stunning infrastructure of the Tokyo Station. It kind of reminds me of Central Station of Sydney, Australia. 

I was super thirsty and tired by then (carrying around my backpack - which I would have suggest to pack lighter) and I had wanted to find a coffee place to sit down and rest. Except I wasn't able to locate any. Hence, I chanced upon the Imperial Palace. 

I really like it when I see ancient infrastructure juxtaposed besides the modern buildings




After walking for about an hour, the heat was getting a little unbearable, and so I decided it was time to head back to the station. 


I couldn't really find anywhere to sit down that wasn't Ramen shop or Restaurants, so I settled that I needed a massage. 

This was the only massage place I could find at the Station and as u can see from the clock, it was 11.30am.
I went for the half body massage, 20 min, and it cost about slightly less than 2160 yen (approx. 27 sgd). It seems a little costly for a 20 min massage but it was super good and stress-relieving and especially nice to prepare my body for the next long haul flight ahead. 

You can locate the massage place near this cute looking thing (sorry for my lack of knowledge of what it is). 



After a nice massage, I went for lunch. And I think even though I am cutting down on carbohydrates, nobody really comes to Japan without enjoying a bowl of nice ramen. 

There are a lot of choices on Tokyo Ramen Street
Spoilt for choices, I settled for NIPPON. 


All you need to do is order your food at the self-service machine (and there was a friendly staff there to guide me), put in the money, collect your receipt, go to a table and then wait for your food. 

I decided to go for the Soy Sauce Ramen with Extra Pork and Egg
I personally found the broth too saltish for my taste, but have to admit that the pork was really good!!! 

I couldn't even decide if this was pork or chicken because of how tender and smooth the meat was!
It was about 1.20pm when I was done with my lunch, except I had to go back to collect my luggage, which was on the other side of the station before heading back to this side of the station to catch the Express Bus to Narita Airport. 

There are many ways you can get from Tokyo Station to Narita Airport, which is why I choose Tokyo Station as my last stop before heading to the airport. You can take a train or catch a bus. And I choose to take a bus. 


It is highly recommended to get the tickets beforehand so you are guaranteed a seat on the bus. There was a queue for unreserved seats. And because I purchased my ticket beforehand, I paid 900 yen instead of 1000 yen. Which means my ride from Tokyo Station to Narita Airport (which takes about an hour) cost me about SGD $11 and that is pretty good value. The ride was pretty smooth and comfortable. 

This is a guide from the website on how to walk to the bus stop
Come out of this side of the station


Cross the road and turn right, you will find the Bus Stop besides "Excelsor"

That pretty much concludes my "day-trip" in Tokyo!!! Onwards to my next flight to Los Angeles. 

I enjoyed my ride with Japan Airlines
It is either I was too hungry, or this is the best Mos Burger I've ever had!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First HOLIDAY of 2018 ~ HONG KONG DAY 4 - Day Trip to Shunde 顺德

Dream Come True 2013 - Day 1 (of 7) in Korea - Jeju-do (10 Dec 2013, Tuesday)

Winter in Korea 2019: Day 7: Seoul (Last Day of 2019)